May Lu serves the transactional needs of businesses and their owners by assisting them with business formations of limited liability companies and corporations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, succession strategies, general business planning, and other business agreements. She also provides guidance to businesses concerning disputes among owners and related fiduciary duties. In addition, May assists clients with regulatory and governance issues related to the U.S. Small Business Administration and other federal, state, and local programs.
• Super Lawyers Southwest Rising Stars—Arizona, Mergers and Acquisitions (2012-2016)
May has been recognized as one of the Super Lawyers Southwest Rising Stars for 2012 through 2016 in the area of mergers and acquisitions. May’s commitment to giving back to the community includes her involvement on the Board of Directors and as pro bono General Counsel of ACLU-Arizona and in volunteering with the Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law’s Business Legal Assistance Program, for which she was awarded the 2011 Outstanding Volunteer Lawyer. She is also an alumna of the 2011-2012 Class of the Bar Leadership Institute sponsored by the State Bar of Arizona. Additionally, she is in her second term on the State Bar of Arizona’s Arizona Attorney Magazine Editorial Board.
Upon graduation from the University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, May served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Lawrence F. Winthrop, of the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division One. While in law school, May was an Intern Prosecutor for the Pima County Attorney’s Office and a Law Clerk for the Arizona Superior Court in Pima County. May was also a Managing Editor of the Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law.
Prior to law school, May’s interest in assisting businesses motivated her to attend Arizona State University and its Barrett Honors College on a National Merit Scholarship to study economics, international business, and Spanish.
COURT AND BAR ADMISSIONS:
U.S. District Court, District of Arizona (2008)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
American Bar Association, Business Law Section (2008-Present)
- Mergers and Acquisitions and Middle Market and Small Business Committees
State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona Attorney Magazine Editorial Board (2013-Present)
- Business Section (2009-Present), Conversion and Merger Subcommittee (2013-2014)
- Bar Leadership Institute (2011-2012)
- Certified CLE Presenter through the CLE Institute (2014)
Arizona Asian American Bar Association, Board of Directors (2014-Present), Co-Chair of the Arizona Collaborative Bar (2015-Present), Secretary (2016-Present)
The M&A Source, Co-Chair of Online Education Committee (2014-Present)
U.S. Small Business Administration’s 504 Designated Attorney for Loan Closings (2014-Present)
Association for Corporate, Arizona Chapter, Young Dealmakers Program (2015-Present), Arizona Women in Business and Leadership Group (2016-Present)
Maricopa County Bar Association (2008-Present)
Member of Lorna Lockwood Inn of Court (2007-2012)
ACLU of Arizona, Board of Directors (2014-Present), General Counsel (2015-Present)
Volunteer for U.S. Small Business Administration’s Boots to Business Program (2015-Present)
Member of Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce’s Small Business Leadership Council (2012-Present)
Volunteer for Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law’s Business Legal Assistance Program (2011-Present)
Volunteer for Arizona State University’s Epps Consulting Forensic Accounting Program (2010-2011)
Coach and Mentor for Chaparral High School’s Mock Trial Team (2000-2011)
HONORS, APPOINTMENTS AND AWARDS:
• Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law 2011 Outstanding Volunteer Lawyer
• National Merit Scholar (2000)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESS RELEASES:
• Keys to Navigating the Buy/Sell Highway, Tiffany & Bosco, P.A. Newsletter (Autumn 2015).
• Arizona Entity Restructuring Act: The Basics, Tiffany & Bosco, P.A. Newsletter (Spring 2015).
• A Business Lawyer’s Suggested Approach to Drafting ADR Language, Arizona ADR Forum (Winter 2013).
• Letters of Intent: An Increasingly Valuable Tool in an Uncertain Economy, Greater Phoenix Attorney at Law Magazine (May 2011).
• Charging Orders: Their Effects on Different Business Interests Part One: Limited Liability Companies and Corporations and Part Two: Partnerships and Limited Partnerships, Tiffany & Bosco, P.A. Newsletter (Spring and Autumn 2010).
• The New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards: Analysis of the Seven Defenses to Oppose Enforcement in the United States and England, 23 Ariz. J. Int’l Comp. L. 747 (2006).
• Clark v. Anjackco, 235 Ariz. 452, 333 P.3d 779 (App. 2014)
• From Boomers to Millennials: Promoting Understanding and Communications Between Generations, Panelist, State Bar of Arizona, June 15, 2016.
PRESENTATIONS AND EVENTS:
• Structuring MOUs, LOIs, Term Sheets and Other Nonbinding Legal Documents, Strafford, May 4, 2016.
• Preparing a Company for Sale, Panelist, The M&A Source, May 3, 2016.
• Is It Soup Yet? “Best Practices” Recipes for Documents Essential to M&A Intermediaries, The M&A Source Conference, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015.
• 10 Things You Should Know About PDFs, State Bar of Arizona OnDemand, January 2015.
• Lions, Tigers and Bear Markets Oh My! Managing Legal Issues (and Lawyers!) in the M&A Process, The M&A Source Online Course, December 2014.
• LLC Workshop: Choose, Draft and Maintain, National Business Institute, September 2014.
• The Annual Ethics Game Show!, Panelist, State Bar of Arizona, June 2014.
• The Ethics Challenge with Larry Cohen, Panelist, State Bar of Arizona, May 2014.
• CLE Snippet: Letters of Intent, State Bar of Arizona OnDemand, May 2014.
• Buying and Selling a Business in Uncertain Times, Sterling Education Services, February 2014.
• SBA’s 8(a) Business Development Program: How to Get Your Ducks in a Row to Apply - Download
• Business Entities, Formation, and Taxes, Oh My! - Download
• Business Formation Basics - Download
• Joint Ventures: Some Fundamental Principles - Download
• Starting Off on the Right Foot: Business Formation and Owner Agreements - Download
• Conversational Mandarin Chinese
PRACTICE AREASBusiness DivorceBusiness SolutionsCivil and Commercial LitigationCorporate, Business Planning, & FormationsDirector & Officer LiabilityGovernment Programs for BusinessesIntra-company DisputesMergers & Acquisitions
Arizona State University, Phoenix, Arizona, B.S. Economics, Minor in Spanish, International Business Certificate, Summa Cum Laude, 2004. University of Arizona Rogers College of Law, Tucson, Arizona, J.D., 2007.
ARTICLESCharging Orders: Their Effects On Different Business Interests
Part Two:Partnerships and Limited PartnershipsCharging Orders: Their Effects On Different Business Interests
Part One:Limited Liability Companies and Corporations
PUBLICATIONSMLU's Journal Note 23 Ariz. J. Int'l Comp. L. 747 (466748)Letters of Intent: An Increasingly Valuable Tool in an Uncertain Economy