Chris LaVoy has substantial experience in complex commercial litigation matters in a variety of contexts, including shareholder and partnership disputes, claims against directors and officers, injunctive proceedings, misappropriation of trade secret claims, unfair competition claims, and business torts (fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, interference with contract and prospective benefit, and product disparagement).
Chris represents plaintiffs on a contingency-fee basis in the following areas: consumer class actions; non-medical professional liability, especially legal malpractice; investment fraud; and other high-value commercial or intellectual property matters.
- Class counsel, with co-counsel, in certified statutory damages class action under Telephone Consumer Protection Act, 47 U.S.C. § 227, lasting over 12 years, resulting in favorable settlement after summary judgment award valued at approximately $60 million.
- Class counsel, with co-counsel, in certified declaratory judgment class action in District of Delaware Bankruptcy Court seeking invalidation of confirmed Chapter 11 reorganization plan and discharge injunction of major national corporation based on alleged failure to give constitutionally required notice to creditors.
- Plaintiff’s counsel, with co-counsel, in patent infringement suit in Eastern District of Texas related to reconfigurable word-width memory design against leading FPGA manufacturer resulting in $6.5 million settlement (additional suit against another FPGA manufacturer pending in Northern District of California).
- Plaintiff’s counsel, with co-counsel, in legal malpractice suit against multiple law firms that jointly undertook and lost a breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secret suit against a leading Silicon Valley design verification company based on the attorneys’ failure to join a necessary party, resulting in dismissal for lack of standing.
- Plaintiff’s counsel in multiple legal malpractice suits involving attorney misappropriation of client funds.
- Plaintiff’s counsel, with co-counsel, in insurance coverage and bad faith action based on denial of claim under employee theft policy, leading to multi-million dollar settlement.
- Plaintiff’s counsel in fraud suit against seller of self-storage facility and real estate agents resulting in recovery of approximately $900,000.
- Plaintiff’s counsel, with co-counsel, in declaratory judgment action in District of District of Columbia against FDIC and its bulk loan assignee for declaration that FDIC’s repudiation of partially funded loan under FIRREA relieved borrower of loan repayment obligation.
- Plaintiff’s counsel in declaratory judgment action in Southern District of California seeking declaration that Ninth Circuit bankruptcy litigation privilege foreclosed breach of fiduciary duty claim by minority shareholder against majority shareholder group for placing company into bankruptcy.